Wednesday 11 March 2015

Simplicity 2584 - Linen LBD

In a last hurrah for summer I decided I needed a sleeveless LBD.  I wanted something that I could wear to work or casually, that I could layer for winter, and it had to be quick to make. 


I've found myself pinning this neckline a lot recently, so using Simplicity 2584 was an easy choice.  I've also made it before so I knew I could leave out the zip and still slip the dress on easily.  The only change I made this time was to raise the neckline split 2 inches.


The great thing about this dress is that everything came from stash.  I've used a heavy metro linen from Spotlight (bought to make Wade some shorts) and lined it with a silk habotai.  I love the lining, it's colour that I'm drawn to but it doesn't look good on me, this way I get my colour fix and it feels very luxe.

I thought this was a great fit until I saw the photos with the drag lines everywhere!  It looks like that back seam could use another press too.  Oh well, it was just beautiful to wear on the last hot day of summer and it got the thumbs up from all three of my daughters. I think I also went a little too short for the office, but I figure it'll be fine over tights in winter :)


With the cool autumn weather hitting Melbourne I've started thinking about winter sewing - I have big plans but I know that I need to pare them down because I just can't sew everything I want to!  Do you have sewing plans for the new season?

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Simple and classic!

Sarah Liz said...

That's gorgeous - a lovely, simple classic LBD. I love the shape of it, it sits so nicely on you.

Sharon said...

The perfect summer LBD and what drag lines, enjoy wearing it.

Like you I have far too many plans as this is my favourite time of year but need to rethink about how many jackets/coats a girl needs.

Anonymous said...

This looks really cute on you. I hate it when you think a garment has come up trumps and then you see something you are not happy with on the photo. But, console yourself with the memory that RTW never fits perfectly either :)

Summer Flies said...

So lovely... simple but elegant. We are still having 30 degree days here in Brisbane so no thoughts to winter yet... problem with that is, by the time it's cold or cooler the winter is over before I sew it. I want to try making a good coat so lets see if it happens.

fabric epiphanies said...

I really love a simple shift dress and in linen it just says class. Great dress and a very versatile colour for all seasons. With tights even the shorter length will look fine for work.

The weather here has only begun cooling this week although the tea leaves swirling around my doors are tell tale signs of autumn. I am struggling to motivate myself to make winter clothing,

Funkbunny said...

I like the simplicity of this dress and I think we are always too-harsh citics of our sewing!

I'm thinking some wrap dresses for autumn. I have an original DVF pattern that I want to use - for some reason I've been holding off making it!

Unknown said...

Looks fabulous!

Carol said...

What a great summer dress. I bet you will live in this when the weather heats up again. I'm just thrilled it's finally starting to cool down! I could've used one of these dresses this summer.