Tuesday 18 September 2012

Simple tops - McCall's 6519

I couldn't resist this splotchy coloured silk when I saw it on eBay (and it's even better in real life) but I'm still finding my way with patterned fabrics so I thought I'd try this really simple top from McCall's 6519.


For the first time ever I cut out a pattern in a single layer - I couldn't risk one of the black circles falling in wrong spot!  With only 4 seams this is a really quick make but it need a couple of adjustments.  I raised the armhole by 1 1/4 inch and added an extra inch of length through the body.  The neckline and armholes are finished with bias strips and I finished the bottom with a narrow hem.  The top was fairly straight through the body so I cut a size 12 and the blended to a 14 from the waist down flaring out about 1/4 inch at the bottom.  


I can't believe how much I've already worn this top - it's going to get a lot of wear this summer.  I was hunting through my fabric stash and came across this really soft grey knit and thought I'd give it a try too. Turns out this pattern works just as well in a knit! 


I've got plans for another couple of these tops and the dress on this pattern too.  You'll be seeing more of McCall's 6519.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely top. So simple and easy to wear!

Cal said...

Lovely silk indeed! Love it.

katherine h said...

That is a gorgeous print. I do love colour!

Audrey said...

Both tops look great, but I really like the printed one. So pretty1

Carolyn said...

Beautiful! The simple design showcases that glorious fabric perfectly :)

Sharon said...

Gorgeous top and you can have such fun with different coloured skirts, jeans, shorts you name it as well as shoes, have fun!

Unknown said...

Perfect top. Fabulous colors. Looks great on you. Love the orange shoes. Looking forward to seeing the dress too.

fabric epiphanies said...

I love the tops especially the printed one

Marie said...

Gorgeous. Perfect use for that fabric.

Gabrielle said...

This is such a great shape, I'm going to have to look this pattern up. Both these tops look great but your first fabric is amazing (and I love your orange shoes!)