Peplums are everywhere right now. They're in the shops, on the blogs and they keep popping up on Pinterest. I tried a couple on in the shops but with my height the peplum always started too high up my torso. So I did what any self respecting seamstress would do and made my own.
This is actually a two piece outfit. I figured that I'd get more wear out of a top and skirt than I would a dress incorporating a trend (who knows if peplums will still be around next season). Now I know Vogue has released a pattern for a peplum top (Erica B has put it to good use) but I really didn't want to add another pattern to my stash, particularly when I wasn't sure that I was going to like the end result. I really like the fit of Butterick 5672 so I decided to use the lining pattern pieces for my outfit.
Here's all the details from the last time I made this up. This time I added an extra 1/2 inch to the bodice piece. To make the peplum I drew a circle with a 42cm radius and then cut a circle out of the middle using a small plate. I pinned the circle in different spots to decide how full I wanted it to be - in the end it's a little bit over 3/4 of the circle. I ended up removing about 1.5 inches from the peplum length and narrow hemmed it (after letting it sit for a couple of days in case the bias sections stretched). I love the end result - it's not too full but has a lovely twirl-a-bility!
The skirt was so easy, it was straight out of the envelope with an elastic waist. I measured my waist with the elastic and then overlocked (serged) it to the edge and then folded over, tacking it down at the side seams. Couldn't be any easier. I put this on one day last week to wear to work, but felt too 'eighties' in it so it ended up on the wardrobe floor for a couple of days. On Friday I pulled it out and I couldn't wait to wear it. I love the way it looks and I got a lot of compliments at work too. It's amazing how much my state of mind influences the way I feel about my clothes.